Monday, July 8, 2019

DIY Pochade Box


Mini quest Complete!
   Sometime in January 2016, I decided to make a multi-purpose pochade box that I can use with oil, acrylic or gouache. I estimated I would be able to finish it within a year and even started documenting the process. Sometimes life happens and goals are met with resistance, priorities took over and the project was temporarily set aside. Fast forward to today, with some elbow grease and perseverance, I was able to finish the box and am now writing this article.
     This box is mostly inspired by existing designs from all over the net, especially the Alla Prima Pochade Box.
      The essential and most difficult component to acquire for this project was the Torque Hinge. Luckily, I already had one since I was previously planning on creating a watercolor easel similar to James Gurney's (check out James Gurney's blog). I ended up using it for this project. Unlike regular hinges, the Torque Hinge allows for variable tension, enabling you to set the lid at any angle that you desire.
Southco Torque Hinge. It allows for variable tension that hold the upper part of the box in place
     I practically live in a small cave and with that in mind I was mindful of not acquiring tools I would only use once, so I had to make the most of that I had, but still be able to work comfortably. Here are the tools I used for the project:
I forgot to include the screw driver.

     I already had a design on my mind, but since I wasn't too familiar with the hardware available (wood sizes, attachments), I made a lot of design adjustments along the way.

The materials:
  • Wood -  3 pcs (2'x1/4"x8' ),3 (1'x1/4"x8' )
  • Plywood(1/4' half sheet)
  • Box Latch (2x) (available at Recto, Manila at shops selling screws)
  • Torque Hinge
  • Normal Hinge (brass finished)Bag handle from Lazada  
  • Magnets from Magnet Manila
  • 1/8" acrylic sheet (12x16)
  • Spring salvaged from ID holder
  • Elmer's Wood Glue
I was able to get this for around PHP 200.00
Not exactly what I wanted, but it's cheap and available.

      Apart from the hinge, the materials were quite cheap, probably around PHP 1,500.00. However, the project itself was labor intensive since I was only working with limited tools and equipment.

Here are some progress pics during assembly:

Cut once measure twice. Don't forget your protective gear

Adding box joint for extra strength.
Most of the parts except for the the back plate on top of the lid is held together by glue.
The top lid features a sliding mechanism that auto retracts using a spring  from a repurposed ID holder. It does not give the strongest tension, but serves my purpose well. The bevel was just eyeballed and fortunately enough, it does slide smoothly.
Half- assembled top lid. The crossbar from the other side will be held in place by the magnets.
Test fitting the top and bottom. Notice the slats on both sides of the lid. It can hold up to 3 wet panels.or in my case 2 9"x12" canvas pads. The vertical piece on the lower part which holds the screw for the tripod plate also serves as a
reinforcement.
Adding a removable compartment and a paint tray
A piece of acrylic plastic which would fit into the paint tray. I got a gray colored one so i don't have to paint it.
The finished box .
The bottom part with the tripod plate. It was intentionally positioned off center since the center of gravity will  be near the hinge when opened.



    
     Now that the project is finished, I'm still contemplating if I should add more features, polish and refine it, or just leaving it as it is. A part of me says that I have to be practical and save the improvements for later.
     Some friends ask, "why bother making your own when a commercial product is available?" Well, I wanted to experience the fun in making it and customizing it to my preferences. There was also an initial thought of buying an existing box and just modifying it. That would have made life easier, true, but my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to just make it from scratch. Will I ever do this again? Maybe, with proper equipment and a workplace. Otherwise, I would be better off using the time to improve my painting skills.
     Overall, it was a fun project and I learned a lot from the process.

Compartment underneath the paint tray

Quick setup test

 

Links:

James Gurney's Easel 

Muddy Colors Pochade Box Plans

Alla Prima Pochade Boxes



No comments:

Post a Comment