Monday, November 27, 2017

16-Slot Plastic Palette with Gasket

     A friend recently gave me a plastic palette similar to Mijello palette. Though it doesn't come with a brand logo or a mark to indicate where it is from, the palette has a feel of good quality. I haven't used a similar palette before so I'm very curious about its unique feature, the gasket. The main selling point of these kind of palette is that there is less evaporation and it will keep the paint fresh longer. 


     From what I've seen and learned from Alvaro Castagnet watercolor workshop, the easiest way to get rich dark is to apply paint in its creamy state. No water!  If the paint has already dried, it needs to be reactivated and still not as easy as using freshly squeezed paint. 

Fresh paint allowed me to achieve those darks easily.

     I tried testing how long this palette can keep the paint moist, my test varies from 4 days to 8. It could depend on the pigment and the humidity and the current consistency of paint in the tube. I find that the time this palette can keep the paint fresh is good enough for me since I mostly finish a piece in one sitting up to two sessions max. I wouldn't want my paint to stay moist for so long since they might just grow mold which thankfully has never happened to me yet.
     I also does the same thing the gouache paints that I have tried.

Gouache paints after 24 hours. Still soft and creamy!

A single well can hold about a half pans worth of paint in volume.
 
Just out of curiosity, I tried placing 4 travel brushes (Escoda) on the mixing wells and it still closes properly.


     For those who are interested in getting the palette you can buy it from Fullybooked branches or order online at Lazada from this link.  18 slots also available (here).

No comments:

Post a Comment