Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What to Sketch?


     Before I started out  with the habit of sketching, I always asked myself what should I sketch? The lack of experience and confidence limited the things or subjects I was willing to sketch for fear that if I didn't like the outcome, I would just be discouraged, yet I knew I had to start somewhere.

     Suggestion: I realized that if you are new to sketching, you can use things that interest you as your subjects. But if these prove to be challenging, you can begin with simpler objects first like a mug, spoon, or a vase.  

     Listed below are some of the things that I started with as my subjects in honing my skills in sketching. I also added other things I am interested to sketch in the future.

  • Things at your work table
  • Your shoes
  • Your pet
  • Food: breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack
  • The view at your window
  • Your hand
  • Your Bag
  • Your seatmate at school or the office
  • Plants inside your house
  • The kitchen sink still with the dirty dishes
  • Groceries
  • That junk food you brought at the convenience store.
  • A tree
  • That post at the street corner
  • Most people take a selfie using their mobile phones, why not make a sketch of yourself?
  • Pinterest images(just be careful that you don't end up spending your time pinning instead of sketching. It is easy to get distracted  with all the images.)
    




     The more you sketch the more you'll get better (true story!), the more you will enjoy sketching, and the more you will gain confidence.

     At that stage you'll never run out of ideas what to sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment